Monday, January 9, 2012

Meatballs

I have to thank my sister Kim for these babies. I went to my local health food store and picked up 3 lbs. of turkey and 1lb (I think) of bison. I had a refrigerator stock full of fresh produce. I put in the processor: 4 carrots, 3-4 celery stalks, 1.5 onion, zucchini and yellow squash. (sweet peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach etc. Would also be great) I also chopped up @ 1c of cilantro and probably 2-3c of kale. I got a huge bowl and combined my meat and veggies. I added a generous amount of pepper, 4 cloves of minced garlic, steak seasoning, oregano, italian seasoning, and mixed it all with my hands. I took my ice cream scoop and made meatballs. I also sprayed my mini muffin pan and plopped my meat in them.. And mini loaf pans (there was a lot of meat) Cook for 20-30 minutes (I took my meatballs out around 20 mins..
Meanwhile, I put about 1tbsp of coconut oil in a pan and cooked on medium heat: eggplant, sweet peppers, & brussel sprouts (ends cut off and halved) after 8-10 min. Then I de-ribbed and finely chopped a bunch of kale and set it on top of my veggies and stirred occasionally as it wilted. It was a mice side to my meatballs!
Now my freezer is stalked with meatballs that I can defrost and eat for a quick protein/veggie source or throw into a sauce for a meal. And all my boys like them- sooooo tasty!

No comments: