Friday, April 9, 2010

Hot & Sour (& sweet) Swiss Chard
(Jen Caputo)

2 T. apple cider vinegar (I used red wine)
2 T. raw organic honey or agave
1 T. tomato paste
¼ to ½ t. red chile flakes (or chili paste) – adjust to taste (ha- ya, no wonder mine was pretty hot...I used at least a tsp...I liked it though!)
1 t. olive oil
1 med shallot, finely diced (didn't have this- need to try it next time)
1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
Sea salt
Ground pepper

In small bowl, mix together first four ingredients.

Heat large sauté pan over med-high heat. Add oil and shallot and sauté for 1 minute. Add chard and sauté for several minutes. Season with salt and pepper and pour into bowl.

Return pan to heat and pour vinegar mixture into pan. (Caution: vinegar will boil, resulting in strong fumes). Stir well and allow liquid to reduce for about 30 to 60 seconds so that it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.

Serve immediately.

Nutrients per 2/3 cup serving: 69 calories, 1 gram fat, 14 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 9.5 grams sugar, 1.5 grams protein

*You can also make this a meal w/ chicken.

I put some olive oil in my pan, added onion and garlic and then cooked my chicken breast. (I also add water throughout this process) When it was almost done, I added the sauce mixture and cooked for a few minutes, then added chopped swiss chard and spinach and let wilt. It was so yummy- Everything soaked up the flavor of the sauce.

No comments: